From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:32:44 -0500
At 10:01 PM 3/26/1998   Larry Atlow    wrote:

>Over the past few days, I've run across a couple of machines that have
>baffled me.  The most recent, a '486/33 that had a passworded CMOS.  I
>disconnected the build-in battery, unplugged the power supply and
>removed all the jumpers on the board (didn't know which one was for CMOS
>clear).  I let it sit for a few minutes before reconnecting the power
>supply and powering it up.  Still passworded.  Powered off and replaced
>all of the jumpers.  Upon powering up again, there was no video.  Even
>using a different video card didn't matter.  What did I do wrong?  What
>happened.  Any ideas how I can correct this?  I'm stumped.  TIA

Larry:

You have to find the CLEAR CMOS jumper and SHORT it. It
will be where the battery is and/or where the external battery
can be plugged in.

Traditionally (but not conventionally), it's JP-1 and should be a
2-pin or 4-pin block.  With the power off, just SHORT all the pins.
If you merely unplug the battery, you'll have to wait up to
two days for the settings to disappear.

Or download the KILLCMOS utility from some website.

Regards,

John Chin