From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:08:26 -0600
----------
> From: David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] only 16 colors with S3 trio 64+
> Date: Friday, March 19, 1999 7:20 PM
>
> On 19 Mar 99, at 11:29, Edna wrote:
>
> > Windows 95 does detect and install the drivers for the S3 from its
> > database on the CD.  Device Manager shows it is working properly with
no
> > conflicts. I ran a utility program that also id'd it and said it had
1024K
> > of video ram.  ? ? ?  Is there anything on the MB that might restrict
it
> > in some way?
>
>   1024K should be enough to do 65536 colours at 800x600 or 256 colours
> at 1024x768.

This is determined in the following manner:  Take the desired screen
resolution in pixels - in the first example above it is 800 pixels by 600
pixels.  From the number of colors, determine the number of bytes required
to hold that large a number.  If you don't know how to do this, use the
following table:

Colors                        Number of bytes
16                               1
256                             1
65536 (64K)              2
16,777,216 (16M)     3

Now, multiply the two numbers for the screen resolution together and
multiply the result by the number of bytes needed for the desired number of
colors.  In the cases above:

800*600*2 = 960,000 bytes for 64K colors
1024*768*1 = 786,432 bytes for 256 colors

Since the results of both are less than the 1,048,576 bytes (1024*1024)  of
memory that are on your video card, it will be able to work with either
setting, assuming that your card and monitor can agree on other parameters
that determine the maximum screen resolution possible.

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html