Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:54:04 -0500
From: William Patton
Date: December 17, 2004
Subject:  Re: Home Network Thru

I have disabled Windows firewall.  David said to turn off "simple file
sharing", but I have not found that setting.  I still cannot access each
machine from the other, although they both have an internet connection.  Any
further guidance would be greatly appreciated.  regards, William

> Date:    Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:06:08 GMT
> From:    Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Home Network Thru Router
>
> In addition to David's advice which is necessary, you also have to deal
with the firewall that SP2 enables by default.  It is barring your WinME
machine from accessing it. To configure your firewall or turn it off
entirely, see the MS Knowledge Base article:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875356
> How to configure the Windows Firewall feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2
>
> Doug
>
> At 12/11/2004 12:16 PM, Bill wrote:
>
> I have a home network/internet connection setup up between two computers
> going thru a 4 port Linksys router and Linksys cable modem.  It has worked
fine with one computer having WinME and the other WinSE. I share a printer.
> I removed the WinSE computer and installed a new computer wihich has WinXP
SP2.  I set the name of the computer and workgroup to be the same as before.
> The WinME computer name is recognized by the Win XP machine, but it says
the the WinME machine is not accessible.  Please advise on what needs to be
done to access each computer from the other as before.  Thank you, William
Patton

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com