From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:06:14 -0500
>Does the system run faster/smoother is I specify a fixed size Swap File in
>Win ME? I have 96MB ram and 14.6GB HDD. I am thinking about 400MB of swap
file

   With that much HD space and if you're dead set on a fixed swap file then
set it at 2 GB minimum and maximum. That is the maximum allowed by Windows
for any type of swap file, fixed or dynamic. The danger in a fixed maximum
lower than that is that if you are operating with tremendous file swapping
there is a possibility of data corruption and loss in an extreme example
(let's say the Windows Memory Manager needs to create a swap file bigger
than 400 MB, you have it set to top out at 400 MB and boom...data loss for
that operation...maybe serious hd corruption).

   Personally I see little need in a fixed swap file unless you have two
hard drives of the same speed and one is little used. My advice is to set up
and run System Monitor. Watch it for excessive swapping while in dynamic
allocation. If you see it constantly up above 40 MB for minimum swap file
then it's time to buy more physical RAM for your system. Just my opinion and
I'm sure you will hear from many opposite views.

All the best,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
A+ Certified Technician
http://www.rustysmith.com

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions