From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:12:28 -0500
I have done it both ways. Image before and after activation...
I do not "prepare" the HD in any way for the image, other than
a mild, (or simple), cleaning...

If you image and THEN activate, the image will "expire" while
it is sitting on the shelf... After the original thirty days is over
as determined by the BIOS clock, the image will either fail to
boot with an activation error, or will give you three days grace
(depending on the EXACT version and SP of your OS. YMMV).

I have been imaging my drive for a long time. (It being activated
for 2 1/2 years until recently...)
I believe in a FULL TEST of the image, so I know that restoring it back
to a different HD (all other hardware is the same) will work for me...

Note: This works best if you have a default "C" install, or a multi-boot
install that ONLY Windows set up by itself.
(Such as the "Windows Recovery Console".)

When you make the Image, if it has a "notes section" you should
list the installed hardware (and any programs/drivers that might prove
troublesome...) That way, you can remove any hardware that Windows
will not have drivers for and then put it back (install with drivers, etc.)
after the system is running again...

                           Rick Glazier

From: "Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
> I am building a new machine and will install WinXP-Home Edition.  I wish to
> image the drive as soon as I install the OS for the purpose of easier
> restoration when windows becomes corrupted or bloated with other
> software/adware/spyware. Will I have problems with activation when trying to
> restore an image (Norton Ghost) to this exact same machine?  Would it be
> best to image before initial activation or wait until after initial
> activation?  Will imaging even work anymore with this activaiton issue?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml