From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:24:17 -0500
I use Zoom Dual PCI modem for my personal use and for customers which is a
HSP (Host-Signal Processing modem which is the more accurate name for a
winmodem). I find no problems or slow downs with it except for the "frozen"
cursor for 1 - 2 seconds when it first starts to dial or hang up. I use it
on a K6-2 400 system with 256 MB of RAM.

Actually my ISP recommend this particular unit as have the fastest
connection speeds with them over all the modems they have tested.

I have heard some internet gamers say they sees slow downs but never heard
of problems from anyone else. After the initial dial, CPU usage is only a
small percentage.

Additionally, whether a HSP or DSP is used, getting a PCI buss modem is
better since it can share precious IRQs.

One additional thing WRT HSP modems, they must be used in Win9x and can not
be used in DOS mode (DOS window yes but not straight DOS.)

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 /800-816-0663
Fast - Reliable - Wallet Friendly