From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:15:51 -0500
Tuesday, January 19, 1999 8:38 PM [log in to unmask] wrote:

Hello all.
I'm having a problem with a system I'm working on for a friend.  She has
an Intel DX2-66 CPU that I'm trying to put into her motherboard, but the
board will not work at any bus speed other than 40.
It is supposed to support 25,33,40, and 50MHz bus speeds, but simply will
not work at the other bus speeds.
Does anyone have any stories on overclocking this chip.  I have a good
fan, and will pick up some heatsink compound if I figure it will work.
Otherwise, she'll have to live with an SX-40 running Win95.

Wayne Rowlinson

Hi Wayne,
I had several 486 motherboards whose design, according to the manual
and silkscreen, support 25, 33, 40, and 50 mhz, but apparently during
assembly the board was hard-wired to one speed to cut costs, typically 25mhz,
since changing jumpers has no effect.  These were all shipped with SX cpus.
I have a 486 Compaq whose manual also lists multiple
clock speeds for SX and DX cpus, but whose settings have been locked
in solder for a DX/33 or DX2/66.  While I can run a 66 as a DX2/50, I
have never succeeded in overclocking a 5 volt cpu, although I remember tales of
people running 33s as 40s and dx2/50s as 66s.  My experience has been
the pc won't boot at all if the cpu is overclocked.
Tom Turak

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html