From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:54:56 -0500
> Could people make some hardware recommendations
> for an athlon / abit-ka7-based w2k system?  The system
> has an adaptec 19160 scsi card, so it supports ultra 160,
> plus slower scsi devices on a second scsi bus.  Is has
> the two unused ide controllers on the mobo, and has
> two usb ports.  So all of these are options.
>
>         1)      Flatbed scanner
>                 (decent quality, price / performance matters)

     Well it really depends what you need. If you aren't a graphics artist
then a nice USB scanner from HP would probably fit the bill, plus HP has
good driver support (important since you will be using Win2k). I recently
acquired one for $49 CND after rebate, it is excellent, very good quality
scans.

>         2)      cdrom drive (scsi acceptable / preferable?)

        Again, here it depends what you need. I still have a 10x CDROM. Are you
going to be using it only to install stuff or will you be needing it for
games? The SCSI/IDE question isn't really there since your system is
powerful enough to not even notice the higher CPU usage of an IDE device, I
say if you have the money go for the SCSI, they are usually more robust and
higher quality, anything in the 40-44x would be more then enough. Hope this
helped, TTYL

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org