From:
Wayne Copeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:52:24 -0600
At work we have around 700 IBM 6846-??U Pentium 3's.  The problem we
are running into is memory.  All the computers we have seem to run
just find if we use only 128MB memory modules.  The problem starts
when we use more than one 256MB or 512MB memory modules.  All the
PC's have the latest BIOS upgrade and have had or will have the
system board replaced due to the capacitor problem the entire
electronics industry has with capacitors from that era.

Some of the PC's will take two 256MB memory modules or one (or
more) 512MB memory modules but a lot will not.  The problems run
from the computer not POSTing (usually with the 512MB) to the
computer starting and running OK for a while and the blue-screening
(usually with the 2 - 256MB memory modules).  Most of our added
memory is Kingston but we have this problem with genuine IBM memory
as well.  The same memory will work in some computers and not work
with other computers so it looks like the memory modules are good.

We have been working with IBM about this problem but so far they
have not admitted to a problem or provided a solution.  Our tech
here is now up at third level support and we have provided them with
a computer and memory that demonstrates the problem.

Has any one else seen this problem or have any suggestions?
Thanks.

- Wayne Copeland
  PC Support Group
  Minnesota Department of