From:
"Besaw, Dean" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:26:06 -0500
It's actually smart on AMD's part.  It is true that an AMD running at 1.3
Ghz will run as fast as, or even outperform, an Intel chip running at 1.5
Ghz.  This is because clock speed should not be confused with processing
power.  AMD's chips have a much higher IPC (instructions per cycle) count.
Simply put, AMD does more with less.  It can do more instructions for each
cycle than can an Intel chip.  There for instead of trying to convince the
consumer that an Athlon 1.3 Ghz is faster than an Intel 1.5 Ghz, they just
started called them Athlon 1300, 1500, etc...