From:
Dreamer's Den <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 13:28:14 -0400
I have a Harmony 56kflex pc voice modem. This modem was operating
fine with connection speeds in the 38k/40k speed. I recently switched
to a new isp and my speed dropped to 26,400.

After checking around I have come up with the following situation. I
originally spoke with my isp tech support who told me I need to update
my modem driver. I approached Harmony http://www.harmonyusa.com/
via email and received no response.

I have what I believe is the HM18020-3

The box is labeled 56Kflies faxmodem. The modem looks like the one
shown as the HM 18020-3 on Harmony's website at
<http://www.harmonyusa.com/p18020-3.html>

The chip has the following id...

RCVDL56acf
R6761-23
Rockwell 97
9804 B54154-3

Right now the fastest I seem to be able to connect is at 26.4k. My isp has
told me that they run v.90.  I therefore downloaded the following file...
Download 18020.1, 20.2, 20.3 modem V.90(V2.065)!!

When I try to run the V90wiz.exe file I get the following message on the
first screen...

The modem on com 4 appears to need a firmware update (it's response
to "AT-itu?" is "error").  Please click (run update wizard) to verify and
update.

When I run the update wizard and reach modem detect, it detects my
modem (com 4)  and tells me

 maker "unknown"
 Model "unknown"
 firmware "V1.120.01-K56_DLP"

I also get a message stating...
 The modem on com 4 is not recognized as an updatable modem.
 Choose a different port or click cancel to exit from the update wizard.

After reading the faqs on Harmony's site I am confused. I am not sure if
I have the correct update for the modem I now own or if I need to run a
different update prior to this one first.

Can anyone help? Thanking you in advance.

David Thuillier
http://www.DreamersDen.com

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com