Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:23:33 -0800
On 31 Oct 2001, at 12:57, Westly Montroos wrote:

> A fried of mine advised me if I want to use a computer without all
> those problems, I better use a clone. Okay, I am a poweruser. I do
> a lot of things with a computer, from scanning, music, burning
> compact discs, watching dvd, programming, making presentation etc.
> Should I buy or make a clone or buy another IBM machine?

  Not all brand names are created equal, and one area of variation is
whether all products that carry the same brand name are of equal
quality.
  Many PC brands have decided that the way to sell to consumers for
home use was to cut prices, even if that meant using less-capable
parts than in their business machines.  A few brands have even
arranged for inexpensive systems, designed and built by complete
strangers, to be sold under their trusted brand name as a way to get
into this market.
  So although your work and home machines both say "IBM" on the case,
they may be no more similar than this year's Ford Thunderbird and
Excort models.

  One of the attractions of building your own system (this is the
"PCBUILD" list) -- which isn't quite the same thing as buying a
clone, since you can buy "clones" that are already assembled -- is
that you take on responsibility for the choices made in quality of
components.
  Of course, this requires a bit more time and effort than just
looking at the nameplate on the outside of the case.

Dave Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml