From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:52:32 -0700
On 8 Sep 2005 at 11:15, D Duncan wrote:

> ISP is SBC dsl which requires PPPoE for a router config.
> dsl jack-->
> 1.Speedstream modem-->
> D-Link Wireless router (DI 624)
> Linksys WAP#1
> Linksys Signal Booster
> 2. down the hall at the bottom of the stairs is a Cisco range expander
> 3. upstairs is Linksys WAP#2
>
> My thought is it's more about the house interfering with the wireless
> signal than anything else, but I'm not confident in my networking
> knowledge, so the more I try to find out what it might be, the more
> confused I get.  I also did some research and read about WAP
> master/slave setups...is that a possibility here?  What more can I
> find out to try to get to the real issue?
>
> Thanks tons,
> Diane

  So there are potentially three wireless "hops":

- WAP#1 to signal booster
- signal booster to range extender
- range extender to WAP#2

  Is it possible that two of these hops are trying to use the same channel,
and so interfering with each other?

  Other sources of interference can include cordless phones, microwave
ovens, and neighbors' WAPs....

  I'm afraid that all of the wireless I've worked with so far has only used
it for the last hop, from a router or WAP to one or more wireless client
NICs.  We did talk about various types of intermediate wireless links in the
CWNA certification class I took, but I haven't had to actually work with
them yet; the signal booster and range extender may not work wuite the way
I'm imagining.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com