Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 00:32:00 +1000
Dick Carroll wrote:

>  I need to copy the contents of the old HD to the new one,
> complete including operating system. I've misplaced the
> information on how to do that, evidently misfiled last time
> I upgraded my own HD. Around here that's as good as lost.
> Can anyone help me out here? I know that I will configure
> the original HD as master, the new one as slave, and issue a
> copy command, but what is it? Anything special about doing
> this with the 5X86?

copy command will not work, the command is xcopy32.  The xcopy command
must be used in DOS window, not in DOS. the command is:
xcopy /r/i/c/h/k/e/y c:\*.* d:\*.* (C: is your 850M HDD, D: is your new
HDD)
Xcopy is not the best way to copy whole disk, if you can, use ghost
software to do the job.

>  Will the 5X86 run OK with the 10GB HD as a single virtual
> drive, as the owner (my brother) wants? If not, what should
> I expect to do?

I'm pretty sure the 5x86 won't pick up 10G harddisk straight away, as
the BIOS is too old if you didn't flash it to latest update. old BIOS is
likely to have 2G or 6G limitation on IDE harddisks, so without a flash,
it won't work.

>  Will the 5X86 CPU and WIN95 support FAT 32 or should I
> format at FAT16?

FAT32 dosen't waste disk space like FAT16 dose, I personaly would
suggest to use FAT32. However, to use FAT32, the operating system must
be at least win95B, you can download win95 service pack which including
FAT32 support from MS.

> The installation software with the WD drives makes it easy
> to use either, if either will work OK.

It will be ok.

> Would the 5X86 run WIN98 OK (at FAT32)  or should I just go
> ahead with
> WIN95? If 98 is OK, how to replace WIN95 on the the
> newly-copied drive using the OEM WIN98 CD that came with his
> other computer?

You may see performance decrease if running win98, on a old system (like
your 5x86), win98 would be slow, so win95 may be your best bet. OEM
win98 CD doesn't upgrade from win95, so you will need win98 upgrade CD
if you don't want to loss data.

>  I'm looking at doing exactly the same thing with my
> daughter's Cyrix
> 6X86-120 (P-150) machine soon. Is this a straightforward
> installation or are there any gotcha's?

Nothing is perfect, so be prepare - make backup before you do it.

Jun Qian

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html