Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:49:38 -0800
My computer suddenly reboots itself for no apparent reason.  The monitor
makes sort of a snap sound, the screen goes black and then it reboots.  This
has happened, I think, ever since I purchased it 4 years ago.  (I know -
old computer. I have changed the monitor, though, (2 years ago), and added
some RAM and a CD burner more recently. But the reboot problem started
before any of those things.)  I ruled out a power supply problem by
replacing that, which
fixed some other problems, but not the spontaneous rebooting.  I thought
maybe I have a software problem, but PCSOFT sent me over here.

There seems to be no real pattern to when it does it, and it does it in
spurts - it will be fine for a month or two and then do it every couple of
days for a couple of weeks or so.  It seems to be the worst right after I've
run scan disk and defrag.   I don't think it's IE, because it's done it with
other browsers too.  This is a Windows 98 SE operating system, on an NEC
computer.  (I even ordered a new Windows 98 SE CD and reformatted with
that - no difference. It was another NEC CD though, I believe.)

It does seem more apt to happen when I'm dialing up, but has definitely also
happened at other times too.  Could it be my modem?  Although, I believe
it's done it when I'm not even on line.
Carol Hanson