From:
Kerry Paulson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 1998 15:45:46 +0000
Check out the K6-2: http://www.tomshardware.com/k6-2.html.  The new K6 has
some 3D extensions which bring it's performance up to the level of a PII of
the same clock speed for games (if the game supports the 3DNOW extensions)

  It looks like AMD did a better job with their 3dnow extensions than intel
did with MMX.  There is support in directx6, glide & some video card drivers.
You'll see the best increase (100%!) in games with direct support, or ones
that use a supported 3D engine (direct3d or opengl once the drivers are out)
There is a version of quakeII with 3dnow support that gets 57.1 fps on a K6-2
(333/95) while a (much more expensive) pentiumII 350/100 gets 58.7.

  You won't see much of an increase in older 3D games + the K6-2 is still
lacking in raw FPU power.  Pricewatch has a K6-2 300 listed at $225.  The
lowest price on a pentiumII 300 is $247.  The PII prices are supposed to drop
quite a bit in the next few months, expect AMD to track them.  The older K6
chips should get really cheap (in much the same way as non-MMX chips)  You may
want to consider a K6 200 with a good 3D card.  As John stated, a good 3D card
will make a big difference with any CPU.

Kerry