From:
Don L Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 01:11:49 -0500
I am having a similar problem that I have been trying to resolve
myself, but without success.  I can connect to the internet but
I cannot receive/display any pages - displayed error message
is:

>The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web
>site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may
>need to adjust your browser settings.

I can get my Juno email so I would think that would prove that
my modem is okay.  In fact, I switched modems (another internal)
and the same problem occurs. On my older slower computer, I
can have positive results so I can't believe it is my telephone line.
When I look at my "connection window," it shows that the "Bytes
Received" is a low number and never increases.  I have tried 2
different ISP's with the same result.

For a while I was getting an error message displayed about every
minute that had a title bar labelled "Hidden Application"
and the actual error messaage was Socket initalizaion failed"
(with spelling exactly as shown) with a red X and an "OK"
button.  I have now elimated that error message, but still cannot
access any web pages.

Any thoughts on any of this?  I am running W98SE and using a
56K dialup.

Don Elias

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:25:44 -0300 Sergio Nemirovsky <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Gary:
>
>     Try to change the modem and see what happen...If you can,  get an
> EXTERNAL modem to test the line....
> or, check the modem web site for new drivers or the troubleshooting
> section...maybe there is a "power level" register somewhere...
>
> HTH
>
> Sergio
>
> I have a 300Mhz Pentium II Packard Bell running Windows 98 SE. Since
about 5
> days ago, when I try to get on the Internet the modem dials and tries
> connect but it will not fully connect. Sometimes it gets as far as
looking
> for password but then it says you have been disconnected from the
computer
> you dialed. Most of the time it doesn't even connect. I thought
lightning so
> I bought another modem and installed it. It does the same thing. I
tried it
> in a different PCI slot and it does the same thing. When I tell it to
dial
> the sound coming from it is pulsating. The dial tone is no longer loud
and
> continuous. It sounds scratchy and when it is trying to connect the
> connection sounds are also pulsating and scratchy.
>
> So far besides another modem I tried switching the phone cable from a
> splitter to computer. I tried switching the two cables that come out of
the
> splitter. The splitter goes to this computer and another computer. The
other
> one connects and works well from either splitter recepticle. Any ideas
would
> be greatly appreciated.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.