From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 04:13:01 -0700
When I got @home, the installer used a USB connection because it takes less time and is cheaper for the company.  My work IT guy told me to make them come back to do an NIC connection because it's better, faster, and  more stable.  I followed his advice.  Both worked fine, but I have the NIC.  If you are going to have more than one computer using your connection you need a router, but if only one computer, get Zonealarm 2.6.8 as your firewall at www.zonealarm.com.  It's free, and no one has invaded my computer in the 7 months I've had the cable connection and Zonealarm.  Read my review of Zonealarm at www.epinions.com/user-jmb623.  Click on the first review listed on that page.

  I went from a USB port to a network card because several people said that
  was the way to go, speed better connection whatever. I didn't notice any
  difference. When I had my cable modem connected to the USB it ...worked
  fine. If you are concerned about protection and most people are. I would
  recommend checking out a site called shields up. The site can check the
  security integrity of your system. Is free.
  https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2. The site can tell you how to patch the
  holes if any.
  Mike Sees

  > >I have a couple of cable modem questions:
  > >1) Apparently it can be hooked into a network card, or a USB port.  I
  don't have a network card...will it run just as good hooked into a USB port?

  > >2) I have heard the best firewall protection is to purchase a broadband
  modem router, and then I don't need as software firewall...can anyone shed
  some light on that?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>