From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:19:18 -0400
Seems your only choice is if they did not use a Cyrix 6x86 MII
300GP cpu, but instead substituted another brand.

The Cyrix website advertises the CYRIX MII 300GP as running
at a 3.5 multiplier times a 66 mhz system bus.  That works
out to 231 but since cpus are by convention rated to 233, your
system reports that a 233 is installed, which is right.  I have the
exact same cpu installed in a computer built by eMachine, but
when I boot the screen says CYRIX MII PR300, so it is just
a difference in the name used by the boot routine, not in the chip.
Now if your 233 is not a Cyrix MII, you have a legitimate complaint.

As for performance, my Cyrix is about the same in day to day use
as my AMD K6-2 300mhz systems.  I like the Intel Pentium II Celeron
300 mhz systems more, but they are more expensive.  In reference
to what David Gillette said about compatiblity, I haven't found any
programs that won't run or that run slower, on the cyrix, but I don't
use any games either.  We even used the Cyrix briefly as a web
server, and that means lots of touchy software, and it ran alright.

The only problem with Cyrix MII cpus is the ungodly low price
of Celeron 333a cpus.  The best things about them is that the 300
runs at a 66 mhz clock on boards that are typically AT form factor,
which means they are easy to use with your existing case and
memory in a component upgrade.
Tom Turak