From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:54:25 -0700
Mark, that's like mixing apples and oranges.  I was referring to modern day
computers of Pentium class or above.  In the olden days you're talking about
you had 72 pins and other stuff.  The lady who started this thread was
asking about PC-133 which is 168 pin.  It may be that some mobos required
larger DIMMs in slot 0, but I've never gotten an error message putting in
32's, 64's, and 128's in 66, 100, and 133 Mhz clock speeds.  I don't think
the lady had a 486, 386, or 286.

Entering this string a little late, but my $.02 is that many older pc's
required
72 pin simm's to be matched pairs - you could mix 2 - 8 mb chips with 2 -
32's,
etc. but 1 8 and 1 - 32 would not work.  I'm a little surprised that the AST
seems to require 4 of the same -  did you ever try a mix of pairs?

Mark Rode wrote:

> >I've never heard of any issues about size mixing.  I've never read a user
> >manual that says use only certain sizes together. It would be a surprise
if
> >your system has a problem with this mixture, unless it doesn't support a
256
> >Mb DIMM.
>
> Well you have now. I own a AST 486DX33 Advantage Pro that requires that
all
> simms be the same. There are four simms slots and you can only use 72pin
no
> parity simms configured at four 4s, four 8s, four 16s, or four 32s. You
> can't mix a 8 with a 16. I also have a one year old EPOX super seven board
> with three SDRAM DIMM slots that maxes out at 3 X 128 meg SDRAM DIMMs for
> total of 384 megs. It won't accept a 256 meg SDRAM. I have tried it.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com