From:
Marg Belliveau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:41:48 -0400
You don't mention whether you did run the Network wizard on your Win98
machine (the one XP tells you to make on a floppy when you are setting the
network up on XP).  Thats how you get the little 'Network Gateway' icon and
things won't work unless you do this step and even then, you sometimes have
to reboot both machines to get them on the same wavelength.
Computers have a tendency to make us all feel a little ignorant at times,
cause they just don't do what they are supposed to do, but glad to hear you
are determined..
I too, had to do some messing around to get things working, but you are able
to connect to the internet with the Host(xp) machine, right? And you are
able to ping both machines?  What are the Ip addresses you used?
Can you check to see what settings are on the Win98 machine in your Network
folder...specifically on the IP Address tab, the DNS config tag, the Gateway
tab, and the WINS Config tab... and report them here...
Also, go to a command prompt on the XP machine and type 'ipconfig' (no
quotes).  What is the IP address for the Lan (Local Area Connection)?
Marg Belliveau