Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:21:07 -0700
What do you mean by terminators ? (RJ-45 Crimp Plugs ?).
Basically my approach to 100 Meg networks is that the cable
should terminate at a workstation outlet, using a Cat. 5 outlet and
use a factory done patch cord between the wall outlet and the NIC.
Works good. I have installed about 10,000 nodes like that, this
year. If I try to terminate my own patch cords, they just barely pass
certification with our testers. The factory cords always give a good
margin.

If you are terminating both ends of the cable with RJ-45's and just
plugging into the hub and then into the NIC it will seldom work
correctly. The NEXT and Remote NEXT is usually too high. It will
work for 10 megs no problem

> I have an existing 100mbps NT network installed at a client location with an
> 8 port hub. I am adding another workstation and was preparing the cable for
> this machine. The installation is going through conduit for a total run of
> about 210ft. I am using standard cat 5 cabling. I have tried numerous RJ-45
> terminators and a different set of crimpers and I still get an itermittent
> signal. When I tested the cable on an existing machine (which is already on
> the network and working) I could only get an intermittent signal at the hub
> and was unable to ping the client or the server.  have tried numerous RJ-45
> terminators and a different set of crimpers and I still get an itermittent
> signal. This same cable works on my office 10baseT Novell network with no
> problems. I have tested the continuity of the cable and it is ok. I have
> pulled almost all of my hair out so please help!!! Many thanks.

Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]
Design Manager
Lunar Communication Services
P.O. Box 569