From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:36:29 -0400
HI:

1) usually v.92 modems need to be installed using a setup program and not
just finding the drivers on the cd like with v.90 modems.  Once they mess
up you usually have to uninstall completely, remove all the modem drivers
from the system property (under windows safe mode), shut system off, remove
modem - turn system back on let it boot up and then shut off again, and
then install the modem and the setup program again.

2) if you have a cell phone available, for a few dollars a month, you can
have the phone company forward all the calls to that instead of the home
phone.  (The fringe benefit is that you can get all the telemareting calls
all the time no matter where you are.)

3) Have you done all the driver updates for windows 98 and for the modem
from the web?  Are you runing windows 98 or windows 98 2nd ed.?  You might
try upgrading OS's

At 08:44 AM 06/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>We installed new modem about a month ago.  It is a Hi-Val Internal PCI
Data/Fax Modem 56 k with v.92 standard.  We run Windows 98.

>Ever since we installed the modem we have been getting a message that "ISP
does not support modem on hold" which then gives us the option to accept or
reject the call.  The problem is that whenever we are on the Internet we
forward our phone to another number so there is no way that we are
receiving another call when this message pops up.  This will pop up
periodically and we have not seen a particular pattern to its coming up.
It is very annoying because sometimes it will pop up multiple times with a
few minute period.  This also occurs when we check our offline e-mail with
our Juno address.  We will sometimes get this message 3-5 times during the
1-2 minutes it takes to check mail.

>We contacted the customer service department of the manufacturer.
Basically, they told me to just search on the Internet and find some modem
commands to get it to do what I want it to.  I tried a few things but
nothing has been successful.  I am not a computer expert by any means.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

>Thank you.
>
>Jenny
>
>              The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                     support at our newest website:
>                          http://freepctech.com

Thanks,

Joe