Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 12:37:10 +1200
Frank, my suggestion is that your new system has plenty of power and is strong and durable.

My approach to computing may be a little simplistic but it keeps me out trouble most of the time.  It's not a new concept by any means, just 'KISS", or 'Keep It Simple, Stupid!'

For me this means keeping away from any technology or hardware which is in any way troublesome, touchy, problematic or unproven.

However, my prohibition also applies to things that work, but only achieve marginal gains after expenditure of disproportionate amounts of cash.

In my opinion, simplicity and raw power are the keynotes to successful systems.

So, my wishlist does NOT include - Hyperthreading, SCSI drives, dual BIOS, complex RAM types, RAID systems, Firewire, break-neck speed CD writers, gigabit LANS, 'mega-buck' graphics cards, memory sticks and a host of other fancy fripperies.

You just don't need this sort of gear to get a fast and efficient system.  Don't forget, we live in a commercial world and part of the price we pay is being constantly exhorted to buy the latest and fastest.

Heck, anyone using XP knows that the latest sure isn't the greatest :--))

I believe that in years to come, the present time will be seen as the Stone Age of computing.

If you doubt that, think back to the early 20th century and the advent of automobiles.  Anyone who owned a 'car' and intended to get any sort of meaningful use out of it had to be a pretty fair mechanic.  And so it is today with computers - most computer users would be stumped without technicians, geeky relatives and advice panels like this one.

It shouldn't be that way.  Computers should be able to carry out the automotive equivalent of being driven for hundreds of thousands of miles, under the most demanding and arduous conditions, with minimal attention and cost.

But manufacturers won't build such equipment while we consumers keep on buying the junk they produce.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

  From: Frank R. Brown

  Ian -

  Thanks for the info.  The Gigabyte 8ik1100 looks like a
  good alternative to the 8knxp board, and I might be able
  to save a few bucks.  If I read the specs right, the differences
  seem to be that the 8ik1100 has:
     no "dual power system" (DPS)
     no onboard ata133 raid
     100Mbit rather than gigabit ethernet
     doesn't come in an onboard scsi version

  Does anybody know what this "dual power system" is?
  Should I care about it?

  I don't much care about the gigabit ethernet, and if I go
  with scsi, I won't care about the onboard raid.