From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:33:47 -0500
If you want the longest lasting error free install of 2K I would suggest that you reformat and do a clean install.  If you have a Western Digital drive download their version 11 of diagnostic tools.  It makes a bootable floppy that will, among other things, write zeroes to the whole drive. Then you will have the cleanest detritus free install you can get on a used drive.  Me wasn't a very good OS anyway, and if an upgrade has left remnants, you will one day start getting error messages.  A clean install is always best.  If you opt for the quick fixes you'll pay later.

>I just set up a computer for my daughter after the system board in her old one stopped working.  I transferred her old HDD over to save her files.  It was running Windows Me.  Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that you cannot do this and expect that OS to successfully boot in the new environment.  I had a lot of error messages, etc., so finally decided to upgrade the computer to Windows 2000.  That worked fine, but for one remaining minor annoyance.
>
>Now, on boot, there is a start-up message asking for a selection of which OS to load: Windows 2000 or "Microsoft Windows."  If no answer is given in 30 seconds, the computer boots to Windows 2000, the only OS installed.
>
>I've been trying to find out how to eliminate this screen as it is a needless delay in the initial boot.  I have finally deduced that it is caused by the former existence of Windows Me on that computer, that perhaps the Windows 2000 upgrade left too many old files on the HDD (or perhaps items in the Registry).  I've examined the C: drive and note that there seem to be two Windows folders, one with that name and the other with "NT" in its title.  On looking at the contents, I note a lot of overlap -- but far from 100%.
>
>Can anyone guide me as to what to eliminate so as to kill the OS choice on boot?  I hesitate to "experiment" until I get it right lest I harm something that is really needed.  Also, it would be a tedious and long exercise that might not work if a combination of factors are at play.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.