From:
Computer9f <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:11:02 -0400
I recently learned something that might save someone a dangerous shock, so I thought I should share it.  A monitor retains enough current to harm you even when it is unplugged.  Read about it here....
http://reviews.ebay.com/Static-Electricity-and-Computers-What-to-know-IY_W0QQugidZ10000000003406809

I also recently learned that the newest mobo's (with Vista-ready fritz-chips) run 5 volts of current through the mobo as long as it is plugged in; even when the PC is OFF (this is to allow third parties to turn your computer on and off remotely).
See http://www.pcworld.com/article/82184/avoid_static_damage_to_your_pc.html for details.
So the game has changed - I would not work on a plugged in PC that has a fritz-chip even if the computer were turned off (unless it was plugged into a surge protector that was turned off - these don't all have on/off switches).

You ground the case so that you can ground yourself by touching the case frame or clipping a wrist strap to it.  Clipping a wriststrap to something that is not itself grounded does nothing but pass your static electricity into it with nowhere for it to go (except maybe your harddrive).   You can clip a wrist strap to any grounded metal appliance or peripheral, which grounds YOU, but does nothing for ESD generated by pulling parts in and out (friction generates ESD).  You can ground an unplugged PC to any grounded object with a simple piece of copper wire.

AnnaSummers

Why are  you grounding the case?  The whole purpose of all this is to ground YOU, not the case!!  Grounding the case does nothing to ground you.  All it does is **help you to come to the potential of the wall socket,** for which there is a small chance of danger.  For years, the best way to ground yourself prior to working on the insides of your computer has been to use a wrist strap clipped to the case of your computer.  It is still the best way!

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>