From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:38:15 EDT
In a message dated 4/23/2002 7:25:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Yes, position on the cable matters.  However, just for fun take a look at
the user's manual for your burner to see if they recommend that it be the
master.  I have a Plextor 4X8X32, and they recommend exactly that.  Try
reversing the connections to see if the DVD shows up as a slave with the
burner as the master. Don't forget to change the jumper settings and put the
master burner at the end of the cable.

Thanks again.  I did swap cable positions and master/slave designations on
both the dvd and cdburner but to no avail.  On boot up sometimes the dvd
would be recognized and sometimes not.  In either case, never in device
manager.  Even swapped out the cable.  I replaced with a new DVD.  It's
recognized but now about 5 minutes into a dvd the computer restarts all by
itself.

The more I get into it the more problems I find.  Win98se hasn't been updated
since original install, neither has video card and the Yamaha cdburner needs
updating too.  Am currently into the 9th hour of a surface scan (no bad
sectors yet).  Will then hook up to my network and update the OS etc and go
from there.

Oh, btw, cdburner instructions allow either master or slave configuration but
suggest putting dvd as slave on primary ide to allow for trouble free burning
on the fly.  Are there any drawbacks to putting dvd as slave on primary ide?

TIA,
Kevin Nowicki

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>