From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:24:18 -0600
> I just bought a Dynamode 56k external modem. It's based on
> Rockwell chipset, pretty cheap, no printed manual (all on CD),
> etc. ["el-cheapo" kind of modem] but I connect to my university
> at 56k and to ISP at 52k, running WinWG 3.11 @ IBM PS/2 model 70
> [it's a 80486@33 MHz]
>   My friend lives close to me and has 33.6k internal, and when
> he connects to the same ISP his modem starts to falldown to about
> 22K, and no effort could prevent this from happening. He runs
> Win98 @ Celeron 300 clocked to 450.
>   I think this supports the idea that hardware modems are the best.
>
>   -MaxVT [[log in to unmask]]

Not necessarily.  I wouldn't come to that conclusion until I tested both
modems at both locations.  The cause of the difference COULD be phone
line conditions between the modem and the ISP.  I much prefer hardware
modems, but in determinining the cause of line speed problems, I'd
prefer to be sure.

--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639