From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:52:34 -0500
Hello!
A frustrating problem...
Stats:
Acer Entera w/P133 (non intel) chip. 1.2 G HD, 16 MB of RAM, 4X Toshiba
CD-ROM, Sound Card and 33.6 Cardinal Modem
Problem: I can't get the beast to give me 640 X 480 resolution and at least
256 colors.
What I've done so far:
1) changed monitors (both Unknown, but both capable of supporting what I'm
looking for on other computers
2) changed video cards (both have at least 1MB of RAM)
3) In Display Properties/Settings tab, I am allowed to choose any resolution
up to 800 X 600 with up to 24 bit color.

If I use a resolution/color combination anything above 640 X 480 at 16
colors the icons look scambled and the computer locks up after the first
interaction with the desktop, and only a hard reboot can correct the
problem.
I have reinstalled both the monitors and the video cards numerous times.
I have prayed and cursed, danced and screamed...nothing!
Any ideas? Thank you very much.
Will Stephenson

Will Stephenson