From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 22:21:16 -0700
I agree with Joe, but for a reason that has not yet been mentioned. AMD
processors are fine. I think the processors are as good or better then
Intel processors. But the chipsets that run with them are problematic. That
is where the bad rep comes from. AMD and the boards they run on are
performance systems, always have been, usually on the rapidly changing
cutting edge. This is the only market niche that AMD has been able to
establish.  The price you pay for cutting edge is always a problematic
system. It's just the nature of the beast.

VIA and similar boards don't go though the same worn in period that Intel
boards do. Intel puts a chipset out and it runs the course with Dell,
Compaq, Gateway and everybody else. With such a huge user base they
eventually solve most, if not all the bugs. And they will keep selling
boards for quite a while.

The very nature of being on the cutting edge means problematic. VIA boards
tend to not solve their problems but to move on to the next chipset. It is
a volume thing. AMD is mostly concerned with performance, but Intel is more
concerned with stability, and corporate office systems, and major
manufactures systems, which are not so performance driven. You will not get
a more stable system then a older Intel chipset with a Celeron.

But don't take our word for it, just ask Dell, or Gateway, or Compaq, or
HP. Look what they are using and it is not because they don't know that AMD
is a great bang for the buck processor. It is because they know the hidden
cost of that performance.

Rode

At 05:07 AM 4/30/03 -0400, you wrote:
>This conclusion is the opposite of my experience.
>I have never had an Intel PC, and the PCs I have built and sold have, with
>one exception, been AMD. This is not a large sample, but I have never
>experienced a significant hardware failure.
>In this poll:
>http://www.misterpoll.com/2634075703.html
>AMD is preferred over Intel nearly 2 to 1.
>In addition, AMD has been innovative in design, and has kept Intel from
>dominating the CPU market and provides an alternative that has had a very
>beneficial effect on prices.
>It's likely my next PC will be an AMD.
>
>AMD is great for what is it, but an Intel system built the same day,
>with all the same components except chip mainboard and fan, will be
>running much longer and with less problems to the operator of that
>system, than an AMD system will.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml