From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 22:25:39 -0600
At 12:38 PM 5/9/99 , you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm a newcomer to the PCBUILD List and I've several questions
>to pose to listmembers.
>
>#1)  Just how much can one expect to save by buying components
>     and assembling a computer yourself?

This is an often asked question.  Some will tell you that you will save very
little and only gain experience.  Others will tell you that you can save as much
as 30% on the price of a comparable system, I fall in this group.  If you are
talking oranges vs. oranges...  it is hard for Dell, Compaq or the others to build
a system with all high quality parts, (this is the important part), for anywhere
near the cost of the components, if you buy them at the best price available.

>#2)  I realize some of you are in the business, with resale
>     tax numbers and access to 'wholesale' pricing.
>     Any suggestions/recommendations as to vendors who have
>     good prices for the average 'joe' wanting to buy just
>     1 item or part.  There is a PC Club in my area and a
>     Frye's Electronics within reasonable distance.
>     Their prices seem to be reasonable.  Any other suggestions?
>     I live in So California, about 50 miles east of Los Angeles.

There are many avenues to locate quality components.  Remember there
are two basic ways components are sold, retail or OEM.  Oem is the same
part, usually arriving in a plastic static-free bag without manuals or drivers
and far cheaper than retail.  The manuals and drivers can be downloaded
from the manufacturers web site.  So, buying OEM components will often
save you substantially.

Places to locate venders:
1) Computer Shopper magazine:  this source is not what it once was...  but, it
     is still a good place to start.  They also have an online version available:
     http://www.zdnet.com/computershopper/

2)  Local large computer component warehouses:  some of these companies
     will sell to walk-in trade and do not require that you are an existing business.
     You will need to consult your phone book/yellow pages for companies in your
     area.

3)  Pricewatch: this is an online service that provides an excellent reference and
     comparison of prices for components supplied by different wholesalers/vendors.
     http://www.pricewatch.com

4)  Online or web site vendors:  today these companies are becoming the biggest
     avenue to buy components and save big money.  They have low overhead and
     move large volume.  Typically, I recommend you use a credit card, if there is a
     problem, you can use the power of your credit card company to make it right or
     have the charge removed from your card.

5)  Buy.com:  this is a very interesting source and really falls into the above category.
     These people buy from the largest wholesale warehouses in America at an
     incredible volume, hence they buy at a better price than anyone else can find.
     Then, they sell the components to you at their cost...  that's right...  at their cost.
     They do this to generate traffic to their web site so they can sell advertising...
      Really interesting concept and you can save a ton of money.    http://buy.com

There are many other sources available, but these are usually recognized as the
starting points.

                Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org