From:
Bob Thrasher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 08:29:14 -0500
At 06:46 PM 5/22/98 , you wrote:

>concerned at all about hardware damage like the HD platter thrown out of
>rotation and scratting on the read-write head or that sort of thing. I know
>there is an incredibly minute clearence in something like a harddisk but not
>quite sure exactly what kind of force it takes to jerk something out of
>alignment. Any suggestions for something I could set my tower on to absorb
>vibration? TIA
>--
There have been a number of good suggestions, I think the best is
headphones.

The problem you seem to be worried about is the vibration caused
by the loud sound from your speakers are not going to be solved
by isolation of the CPU by shock absorbers or suspension. It would
work for mechanical vibration like trains passing, kids jumping or dropping
the piano. The problem you have is airborne vibrations. The only solution
would be to build a sound absorbing case and mount it to a shock
adsorbing base.

In real life I operate 15 computer system in a mobil environment, like
industrial office units. The computers are free standing mini towers
on a counter top above a air compressor that is mounted directly
to the floor. When the compressor comes on and runs it causes a
lot of vibration, like a train passing . these machines run 24 hours
a day as much as 300 days a year with the air compressor cycling
on as much as 24 to 60 times a day. I haven't had any drive failures
as a result.

Bob Thrasher