From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:32:47 -0400
You will more than likely need to have (or get) an ATX
case with a minimum of a 300W PS certified to work
with AMD processors.  You can skip the certification
if you know (or believe) the PS is a god one...
(350-400W would be much better IF you pack a machine
full of "goodies"...)

If your current case has a single row of connectors for
the main MB power cables, AND the connector is in two
halves, then you have an AT case -- and you can't use that...

ATX cases have, (among other differences), a power
plug to the MB that is a double row of connections AND
comes as a ONE piece plug.

Base CPU means you need to buy a GOOD heat sink for
something in the neighborhood of less than $20 or so...
(Don't ever cheat on a heat sink for an AMD.  They really need it
because they last "only seconds" when it fails...)
It also means you get a 30 day warranty, (~maybe~ a year), BUT NOT
the 3 year AMD warranty that a "Retail Boxed" CPU would come with.
The short warranty thing might not be a "bad thing", but I have always
found and purchased the "boxed" ones for less than the combined
prices some companies wanted for a "bare" CPU and a good fan.
(That makes a "Retail Boxed CPU"  a real  "no-brainer"...)

If you get a Retail CPU, be sure to use the heat sink patch "compound"
sticker that AMD gives you, since ANY other compound can void
any warranty they give you...  (FOR AMD Athlon XP CPUs, Good thermal
heat sink compound pastes are only approved for experimental and/or very
short term use, and/or when it is NECESSARY to change the CPU and/or
heat sink often.
(No flames please, see the AMD WEB site - search for "Chomerics")

I have also noticed (only where I have gone) that the bundles were not
something I would have selected on my own, if given the choice...
Disclaimer: Personal preference and LACK of using many different
MBs weigh heavily in that opinion...)

Have you gone to Pricewatch.com and compared what the parts cost?
Be sure the MB socket type ("A") matches the CPU you want to buy.
(An AMD AthlonXP 2000+ is a socket "A"  AKA socket "462")
You should be able to find a 2400+ for almost the same price.
I was e-mailed BARE prices Aug 4...

    >>>AMD Athlon XP CPU
        >>>-XP 3200+ $430
        >>>-XP 3000+ $240
        >>>-XP 2800+ $163
        >>>-XP 2700+ $126
        >>>-XP 2400+ $73
        >>>-XP 2200+ $78
        >>>-XP 2100+ $67
        >>>-XP 2000+ $57
        >>>-XP 1900+ $53

Note: These may not be the cheapest since I was not shopping, and
2700+ and above is in a different class/family and included as an
example of price, NOT compatibility. (It more than likely would NOT work
in the MBs you are (or will be) looking at...)
There seems to be a shortage of cheap 2600+ CPUs since they
are the highest speed of their family and "everyone" that will ever
upgrade to the max wants that speed...

One other thing to "watch out" for is that some MBs only support Model
6 AMDs in this speed range. Some support model 6 and 8.
Be sure to find out the "family name" of the AMD chip you want and
be sure the MB supports it specifically. (Palomino, Thoroughbred, or Barton.)

                                         Rick Glazier

From: "Angela Z Espinoza" <[log in to unmask]>

I have seen this motherboard I want to know if is missing anything, and can I
use it with my old case and it's an
AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ PROCESSOR AND ECS MOTHERBOARD
Bare CPU with Quantispeed
Architecture
ECS k7s5a Pro
Featuring:
On Board 10/100 NIC
(Network Interface Card)
USB 2.0
What does bare cpu mean, and is it ready to just transfer what I have in my old
computer meaning the hardware and also does HITACHI 60BG DESKSTAR 180GXP ULTRA
DMA/100 HARD DRIVE IS THIS A GOOD ONE  8.5ms Seek Time 7200 RPM  Bare Drive Only

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>