From:
Susan Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 01:16:07 GMT
>Hi.....My question is acouple questions in one. My HIMEM.SYS was
> >accidently deleted. Now my PC will only go through the "systems"
> >analysis  and stop before it gets to Windows. I was wondering how I >can
>uninstall Win98 from this DOS screen and reinstall it. I have a >Windows98
>start up disc, when I've tried to us it to either reinstall >my HIMEM.SYS
>or Uninstall my Win98, it goes to the menu that asks me >what mode to go
>into. I've been selecting "safe command prompts" I >get a line telling me
>to "Type the name of the Command Interpreter >(e.g.,
>C:\WINDOWS/COMMAND.COM)" C>. No matter what I type here, it >goes back to
>the same message.Any help would be greatly appreciated. >Thank you.

Just a thought: if none of the other suggestions work, try booting from a
known clean antivirus program boot disk. I was once in a similar situation
and received the "command interpreter" message; I tried booting  from what I
thought was a clean disk, but I had been infected by a master  boot record
virus. These viruses can be misleading because they send you searching for
supposed missing files, when in fact the virus attacks any executable
program and MUST be removed by an antivirus program. (There are other
methods sometimes suggested too, but in my opinion an antivirus program is
the best way.) Even reformatting won't get rid of it, if this is the case.

Susan