Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:00:57 -0500
Hi Kathleen,

Disk Defragmenter (defrag.exe) is part of the operating system and is
installed on the C: drive along with the rest of Windows. When you start
Disk Defragmenter from the Start Menu, you should get a "Select Drive"
window with the default selection of Drive C shown. In your situation where
you have two drives, there should be a drop down menu with the option of
selecting Drive D or All Drives. From what you have said, the "Drive C"
option does not appear in that window. Is this correct?

You can also start Disk Defragmenter another way. On your Desktop, open My
Computer. Right click the C: drive and select "Properties". In the
Properties window, click the "Tools" tab. On the Tools tab at the bottom you
will find Defragmentation status and a "Defragment Now..." button.

To insure that nothing interrupts the process, prior to starting Disk
Defragmenter insure the screensaver in Display Properties (Display in
Control Panel) is set to "None". Then bring up the Close Program window
(Ctrl+Alt+Del) and "End Task" everything but "Explorer". Depending on your
system, it may require more than one attempt for a particular listing.

Sven Swanson, Sr.