From:
"K. Karl Kuller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:45:03 -0400
> > Hi, folks: A nearby AM radio station just increased its power
> > dramatically and I now get the talk shows in my modem line and in
> > my Altec powered speakers. The local phone company came out and
> > put 3 RF suppressors in the outside phone box and when that
> > didn't work they put a large magnetic suppressor in my phone
> > line/modem jack. That stopped the talking on my phone line, but
> > the radio shows keep coming out of my powered speakers, loud and
> > claer. Whenever I get near the speakers, the volume increases.

    Those radio signals from the AM station are in the air, in your body,
and in your a-c lines.  The fact that the volume increases when you get near
the speakers indicates that your body, which is thoroughly saturated with
the r-f signals, is supplying additional signal to the speakers, for which
the most obvious pickup point is the audio cable to the computer.
    Since the typical audio cables for computers are unshielded, you will
need to buy a length of copper braiding (of the type found in good quality
coaxial cable) and work your cable through it, then solidly grounding the
braiding to the computer chassis and the speaker chassis (or circuit-board
ground).  The 2-wire cable from the typical a-c/d-c converter may need the
same treatment.
    To maximize the r-f suppression, you may want to install an r-f filter
in your a-c line into which your computer equipment can be plugged.  You may
be able to find such a filter on-line.  If not, you will have to build it
yourself with design help from a local amateur radio operator or the
engineer at the radio station.  Good Luck!

K. Karl Kuller

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions