From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:20:45 -0500
Looking at the information on the Transcend website, it appears that these
StoreJets are external USB hard drive enclosures.  They use either a 1.8"
drive, like the one you have, or they use 2.5" drives.  The drive probably
is powered by the USB cable.  Like all hard drives, they retain their
information without power, but they can only operate with power.

I found two data sheets on this product, as they appear to come with either
a Toshiba or a Hitachi drive installed.

http://www.transcendusa.com/DLCenter/DataSheet/TS20GSJ18_DS10TO.pdf
http://www.transcendusa.com/DLCenter/DataSheet/TS20GSJ18_DS10HI.pdf

Since the 1.8" models only come with drives pre-installed, you may not be
able to open them easily.  I see that the 2.5" model does come in a version
without a drive, which makes me think these models might be designed for
easier access by users.

As for performance, I would expect them to be similiar to what 4200 rpm
notebook hard drives generally are capable of, which would be less than a
typical desktop 5400 or 7200 rpm drive.

John Sproule