From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 07:11:44 -0400
I would have thought a question like this was off-topic, but I will
assume it is not if my answer gets approved by a moderator.

If the devices are fairly new and have markings on them that indicate
that they have been inspected and approved by a recognized
agency, I would assume from the facts presented that the manufacturers
and the inspection agency felt it not necessary to identify and keep
track of the neutral or hot wire through the use of a polarized plug.
Generally speaking, transformers are used for isolation (and of course
transforming...)  Since there are always exceptions to every rule,
especially on cheap, un-inspected, or defective equipment,
I would not take this as "the gospel" or risk my life on it...
                Rick Glazier