Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 16:55:42 -0400
On 28 Mar 98, at 20:39, Kevin wrote:
> I have a HD that has been doublespaced and I can't uncompress it or access
> it, its not criticle that the data be regained but it would be better if I
> could keep it.

You cannot mount the compressed volume file ?
Is it damaged in some way? If so scandisk can mount and repair it.

What OS are you using ? Does the "host" real drive have the dblspace.bin
file present in the root directory along with dblspace.ini?
What are the contents of the dblspace.ini file?

Once dblspace.bin or drvspace.bin driver is present then io.sys will load it
and your system will have the ability to use the CVFs.

This is a typical .INI file:

AutoMount=0
FirstDrive=F
LastDrive=K
MaxRemovableDrives=2
MaxFileFragments=154
ActivateDrive=F,E3
ActivateDrive=G,C2
ActivateDrive=H,C1
ActivateDrive=I,C0
ActivateDrive=J,D0
ActivateDrive=K,E4

Automount controls automatic mounting of CVFs on floppies
FirstDrive and LastDrive indicate the letters available for drivespace to use.
MaxRemovableDrives indicates how many additional drives may be mounted after
the system has started.
MaxFileFragments specifies the amount of fragmentation allowed for the CVFs

The most important line is the ActivateDrive. This is the syntax:

ActivateDrive=X,Yn

Y represents the physical drive that contains the CVF before any drive letter
changes have been made. If the CVF is on the first hard drive then Y is C.

n is the extension of the CVF. hence C0 represents the file dblspace.000
C1 is dblspace.001.

If n=0 then X represents the drive letter to be assigned to the host drive.
Dblspace/drivespace will swap the letters after the CVF is mounted.
The host is thus accessed as X and the CVF as Y

ActivateDrive=H,C0
says to mount the CVF called drvspace.000 on drive C: as a drive called H:
then SWAP the letters so that C: becomes H: and vice versa.

If n is greater than 0, X represents the letter to be assigned to the CVF

ActivateDrive=F,D2 says to mount the dblspace.002 file on D: as a drive called
F:

It is thus very simple to copy a CVF file to another drive and by renaming the CVF
extension and modifying the .INI file getting the OS to mount it automatically.
You can then access the needed data.

HTH

Gerard R Thomas      mailto:[log in to unmask] mailto:[log in to unmask]
Port of Spain        http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/3829/
Trinidad and Tobago  http://community.wow.net/grt/
PGP Key ID 9DBCDE7D Send message with subject "send pgp" for key
Key fingerprint 83 84 E7 71 E1 05 68 2A  80 B0 54 15 7B AB C3 60