From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:20:00 -0500
I have several older HP printers (855, 870, 1600) at home
and in the office.  The print heads are in the ink
cartridges so they get replaced when you change the ink.
But I have the same problem with the jets clogging if not
used regularly.  I soak them in warm water which usually
helps and clean the 'rest' area where they sit when not in
use.  I still have unusable 1/2 empty cartridges, not to
mention the tri-color cartridges where 1 color runs out.
I refill the cartridges, sometimes they work, sometimes they
don't after being refilled.  But I don't usually fill until
  they stop printing.  If you refill while still working, I
hear it's more successful.
I recently purchased an Epson CX5200, and now see them for
under $100 as they are replaced by the faster CX5400 and
CX6400 models.  The separate color cartridges for about $10
each was appealing compared to $35 for the combined color
that HP offers.
So far, no problems with ink jets clogging on the Epson, but
only bought it in early Sept, cartridges are all about 1/2 gone.

Jim Cooley wrote:

> I live in 2 houses, 6 mos in each, and have 2 printers, Epson Stylus Photo 600 and 700.  The color heads clogged, probably due to being idle 6 months.
> 1.  Is it possible or practical to replace the print heads?
> 2.  I understand that HP cartridges include the print heads so will not give me this problem.  Is this so?
> Thanks in advance.
> Jim Cooley  [log in to unmask]

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com