From:
"John G. Cakars" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:03:48 -0700
> Actually, it's been my experience that if he can change the external
> clock to 66Mhz, the adapter on that upgrade will override the
> multiplier.  He really can get 66MhzX3=200Mhz with those.  The only
> gotcha is they use a WinChip processor.  Beats a blank but in the same
> board at the same settings I got 25% better results out of an AMD
> K6-200, a Multimedia CPU Upgrade adapter, and a fan.  Cost was very
> similar.

How would you change the external clock?  Are you saying that someone
sells a CPU Upgrade adapter, including the CPU?  Or do you buy this in
pieces and put it together?  Who carries this?  The Evergreen unit that
was order for the Packard Bell P75, supposedly can handle socket 5 and
7.  Is the AMD K6-200 a socket 5 CPU?  I thought it was a socket 7 CPU.
Are socket 5 and socket 7 CPU's interchangeable?  I was under the
impression they were not.

> David Gillett wrote:
>
> > On 16 Sep 98 at 12:01, Mike Morgan wrote:
> >
> > > My father-in-law just ordered an Evergreen processor upgrade and
> > > has asked if I'd come over and install it when it arrives.  All I
> > > know is that he has a Packard-Bell P75 machine, and he says the
> > > add-on he ordered will boost him to 200 (MMX I'd assume).
> > >
> > > What types of things should I be concerned with and/or look for?
> >
> >   Pretty few.  Unlike the stock P200-MMX, the Evergreen package is
> > designed to be installed as an upgrade to older systems, and so it
> > should just "Plug and Play".
> >   [On a P75 board, I'd expect this CPU to run at 4x50 rather than
> > 3x66, so memory and peripheral operations will still not be as fast
> > as on a "real" P200 system.  Should be a very noticable improvement,
> > though.]
> >
> > David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**