Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 01:45:48 +1000
As you may or may not know, configuration computers is part of my live
everyday, and if a machine is running in DOS compatibility mode, that is a
PROBLEM, and I will HAVE to fix it (if hack Registry couldn't help, I will
have to format/delete windows if needed). A PC can run in DOS compatibility
mode without any problem, but the perfomance would be drop down, and trust
me, no one would like to see "your computer is in MS DOS compatibility mode,
....." by any meaning, unless he/she has to access very old
hardware/software which are not possible to operate under normal mode.

Win95/win98 does not need any DOS driver at all, if you don't need to run
pure DOS program (program which has to run in DOS, not DOS window) and that
program needs to access hardware such like sound card, SCSI devices,.... In
face, in windows, even you have loaded DOS driver (eg. for CDROM), win95/98
will replace it with 32bit driver. So, you can see, DOS driver won't do any
good, if there is no need for it.

One exception would be some special hardware which DO require DOS driver
during the OS installation (eg, special CD drive on laptop), but after the
OS is up and running, again, don't need DOS any more.

Jun Qian