From:
"K. Karl Kuller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 20:09:04 -0400
Time, Karl writes:

> <<  I bought a GT300 computer that was
>  billed as having a 300-MHz Cyrix CPU.  Much later when I
had
>  my system diagnosed by PC Pitstop, I discovered that the
CPU
>  was only 234 MHz.  >>
>
> I agree this is annoying, but this is not a result of
Tiger's practices, but
> rather those of Cyrix. Cyrix uses a "P rating" that gives
what they consider
> the equivalent Pentium CPU speed. So when you see a Cyrix
300, it is not
> saying the CPU actually runs at 300. It is saying that
Cyrix believes this
> chip gives performance equivalent to a Pentium 300. Just
about all vendors
> list the Cyrix chips by their "P-rating" speed rather than
their true MHz
> speed.

    I, and most of the people with whom I talked, never
heard of the "P rating".  The computer I bought was listed
as having a 300 MHz CPU - period, which was  an outright
lie!  In the real world of processing SETI data, the Cyrix
300 CPU processed only 3 KB per hour, whereas my Celeron 400
MHz CPU produced 7 KB per hour, which shows quite clearly
that the Cyrix WAS NOT equivalent to a Pentium 300 CPU.  All
computer settings and conditions were the same in both
computers.  Conclusion:  Since the GT 300 computer was
billed as having 300 MHz CPU (not P300), Tiger Direct
knowingly misrepresented the product in their advertising.
    K. Karl Kuller

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html