Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:56:14 +0200
> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 02:36:42 -0500
> From: "Jose E. Dominguez" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> If I understand you correctly, the CD's only work properly if they are alone,
> they don't work together.

Yes. Only that it is enough for the SCSI card to be installed for the
CD-ROM not to work, even if the CD-R is disconnected. Also, it seems that
the PnP BIOS recognizes them correctly in all cases.

> What kind of mobo do you have?

IWILL P55XB2

> Does it have an Intel chipset?

It has the Intel 430TX chipset

> If so, do you have Bus Masters installed?

The question is unclear to me. Perhaps I don't know what is bus master
or what do you mean by that (might it have a different name?)
If it is relevant, I have two hard drives, as a primary master (IDE1) and
a secondary master (IDE2), and the CD-ROM attached to one them as a slave.
(The jumpers are set to Slave).

Thanks,

Uzi

> Uzi Paz wrote:
>
> > A strange thing.
> >
> > I have an external SCSI CD-R (Panasonic CW-7502B) which is connected to an
> > Adaptec 2940AU SCSI controller.
> >
> > I also have an internal CD-ROM (Panasonic CR-588B)
> >
> > * If I physically connected the CD-R and SCSI card but the CD-ROM is
> >   disconnected: the CD-R will be recognized correctly and will work fine.
> >   (Both on DOS and on Win95)
> >
> > * If I disconnect the SCSI controller (and thus the CD-R) but connect the
> >   CD-ROM, the CD-ROM will be recognized correctly and will work without
> >   problems. (both on DOS and on Win95)
> >
> > * If I connect the SCSI adapter (PCI), and the CD-ROM (to the IDE2)
> >   I will get a letter for the CD-ROM and if I try to access the CD-ROM it
> >   will work but I shall always get that the CD-ROM drive does not have a
> >   valid media. Also when looking at the drivers, the driver is claimed to
> >   be loaded but to be attached to any drive. On DOS the drive letter will
> >   not be assigned.
> >
> > * If I will also connect the CD-R, it will not be recognized by Win95 or
> >   DOS, and no assigned letter, the CD-ROM as before will have an assigned
> >   letter, but will not be assigned to the correct loaded Driver, and will
> >   claim an empty drive. (The driver is loaded but claim that there is no
> >   physical drive attached to it, or that it is an incorrect driver
> >   (although it works fine if the SCSI controller is disconnected).
> >
> > * In all cases the PnP BIOS recognizes the SCSI adapter, the CD-R and
> >   the CD-ROM (when connected) correctly.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html