From:
raymond rynehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:42:03 +1000
i had cable instaled a short time ago, i was concerned as i have any where up to 6 computers connected via switches and routers from my ADSL provider (including next door, paying for half of the service..) , the instaler and company i went with (Telstra here in australia) for the cable will only provide modem and support for one computer, so when guy come around i had one computer ready for him to install with, when he left i found out the modem was not a router type. so i set up my wireless 4 port router (not using the wireless at moment) direst to the modem and then auto config the router to my new cable provider, now i conect any number or computers and switches and also my VOIP service downwind of my router.. so alls will a very happy chappy

raymond rynehart

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:44:58 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] switching from dial up to cable
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> On 14 Aug 2007 at 8:04, Tina M. Myers wrote:
>
> > I need some pointers here.  I have never worked with cable internet.
> > I have the cable company coming in a couple weeks and want to make
> > sure I get everything I need.
> >
> > I have 2 computers networked together and want to know the best way to go.
> >
> > 1.  Hook up the main computer and run the other one through the main one.
> > 2.  Hook each one up separately.
> >
> > From what the guy at the cable co said I know I need a modem (or one
> > for each comp).  Do I need a router?
> >
> > Also what kind of software protection do I need.  Is it still the same
> > as if I have dialup?  The second comp is windows me and I have zone
> > alarm as a firewall but they no longer support me.
>
>   The cable internet connection is (almost certainly) going to provide
> connectivity for ONE device.  So #2 isn't really an option.  Your coices are
> going to be #1 OR using a router.
>
>   The primary argument for using a router is that either computer may reach
> the Internet at any time -- you don't have to turn the main computer on to
> use the other one.
>   Also, many home routers now include firewall protection that is, in may
> respects, practically as good as Zone Alarm.
>
> David Gillett

http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx
                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com