From:
"gary r. tennesen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:24:57 -0700
  "Missing Command Interpreter" typically means you will need to Sys.com
from a floppy to your C: drive and then possible inspect for a boot sector
virus.

Once your command interpreter is back on, you can copy himem.sys from the
floppy to the root (c:\) and the the Windows directory.   Once these are
back on your hard drive, you should be able to boot up; however, I suspect
that you will be seeing your NEXT set of errors at this point, whatever they
may be.

If you CAN get back into Windows98, use the "System File Checker"
application located in your Systems Tools application and have it look for
any and all missing or damaged Windows files.  This will prevent you having
to reload Windows.

--gary r. tennesen