From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 19:28:29 -0600
Rick Glazier wrote:

> Either the Acer Site --- http://www.acerperipherals.com/
> or the Adaptec Site  --- http://adaptec.com
> says the aspi layer MUST be fully operational,
> AND fully up to date. Adaptec has a test file (aspichk.exe) and even
> a repair utility -- but to do the repair you must have one of their
> SCSI cards. (I don't.) The alternative is a reinstall of Win9X,
> or beat it back in and get lucky.

Another alternative, far more attractive than a reinstall of Win9x, is a
free little utility called Aspi_Me.exe, (direct download at
ftp://grc.com/aspi_me.exe). More info is available at the GRC home
page,  http://www.grc.com/freestuff. The following is from the Aspi_Me
readme file:

  This small (84k) tightly written program incorporates all of the most
  recent ASPI drivers for Windows 95/98 & NT inside itself and will
  analyze and instantly update any Windows system needing ASPI driver
  repair. After running ASPI ME, it will prompt you to restart Windows
  so that the new files can be loaded. You can then run our freeware ID
  program to view all of the ASPI devices that are then available to any
  other ASPI-using software.

  And finally, if these changes do not improve things or solve whatever
  problem your system was experiencing -- if they cause something else
  break -- simply re-running ASPI ME will detect that it was last used
  update the drivers, and it will then offer to UNDO and restore
everything
  the way it was.

Jeff Delzer

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html