From:
Oliver Sugden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:29:13 -0500
I put my system of a second hand KT7A motherboard, a 1.2 gig Athlon, 256 pc133 RAM, with components of my old system, my 8.4 GB maxtor 5400 hdd, my floppy and cd drive, as well as Sb and Elsa Erazor LT G graphix card together, but I have been unable to make it work succesfully. The first boot, it got the processor speed wrong and missed the cd drive, as well as having blocks of colour and missing letters dotted around the screen. When I get into BIOS it crashes, normally when looking at the hdd. Every boot since, it has set a different speed for the CPU, and has started missing the RAM memory. Then it started failing to read the hdd. Now the power switch will only turn it on, it doesn't turn it off, and I can't get a display on screen. The monitor turns on, but it has a black screen. I've tried two graphix cards and two monitors. I've reset CMOS several times, but it still has the same problems. I've disconnected all my peripherals, so I'm left with floppy, hdd and graphix card. The fans work, I get the power LED, but it doesn't beep. Suggestions have ranged from changing the RAM to getting a new BIOS chip, but I need to sort my display first. Any suggestions on the best possible route to recovery. Out of ideas.
Thanks for your help.

1.2 gig Athlon
Abit KT7A
256 pc133 OEM