From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:13:44 -0700
The cheapest way is to use a mechanical switch. You can get one that will
handle One monitor with 4 computers for $12.00 US at Rogers
http://www.rogerssystems.com/store/category.cfm?Category=284. For around 25
dollars you should be able to get one that also lets you use the same mouse
and keyboard. Rogers has them but they may not show them on the web
page....call and ask them. You can also find all them at Dalco www.dalco.com/

The best way is to use an Electric switch or KVM. The difference  between a
mechanical and electric switch is that the electric switch will hold the
signal, ensuring that the devices that are plugged into the switch, don't
realize they have been disconnected when you switch them hot. Signal
strength and quality is constantly maintained. This isn't so important with
just a monitor. You will probably experience some signal degradation when
switching a monitor with a mechanical switch <hot>,  but it isn't a big
deal unless you are using a really high end monitor. However, a mouse or
keyboard may or may not let you switch between computers <hot> using a
mechanical switch. It depends on the particular input device. I use a
really nice 4 port Linksys KVM that sells for around $120.00 on my main
system, but I use a inexpensive mechanical switch on my work bench test
computer.

Don't forget to get the cables. For two monitors you will need a couple of
male to male monitor cables. If you get a switch that will also handle the
mouse and keyboard, you will need male to male cables for them as well.
There is also a special KVM cable that is a single bundled monitor, mouse,
and keyboard cable. Roger's also sells a full selection of quality cables
at very reasonable prices, although they do require a minimum order of $20.00.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group