From:
Phil Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:38:57 -0400
Date:    Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:15:18 -0400
From:    Phil Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CD Drive disappeared

The system: AMD-K6 3DE-300, 64Meg RAm, TX3 MOBO. Win 98 SE (Self built and been
running great for almost three years)

Problem: The computer does not recognize the existence of the CD Rom Drive on boot
up.

Events leading up to the problem:  I tried shut down my computer as usual and it
didn't get past the "Windows is Shutting down" screen. So I just hit the reset button
after waiting an inordinate amount of time. When I turned the machine back on the
CMOS had been reset to the beginiing default. I have recreated the CMOS but the CD is
not recognized. Also,  when I now shut down the computer I no longer get the screen
that says, "It is okay toshut down the computer, now." Everything else seems to be
working okay.

So far: I have verified that the CD Rom is working. I installed it in another machine
and it worked okay. I have replaced the cable.  I have reset the CMOS to all possible
combinations.

AT this point I suspect the on-board IDE controller and am prepared to install a new
one. But before I spend any money I am open to any other suggestions?
    Thanks, from a long time lurker,
        Phil

Followup TO CD Disappeared
    One day later. My CPU fan had frozen.  I have lost my secondary IDE controller. I
took out the second hardrive (it was empty anyway) and slaved the CD to the HDD
cable. It now works again. I also lost a ram chip but it has been upgraded and replaced.
    I have both ISA and PCI slot(s) available. Can I just stick in a new IDE Controller card to hook the CD or the other hard drive to? I was going to use the spare hard drive as my  backup And just never got around to it.
        Thanks again, Phil

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com